Friday, June 25, 2010

'One Delightful Button' leads to many delightful creations for this artisan...

June 23, 11:27 AM Artisans Examiner Bettie St.Ours

...and Katie Bowling is one 'delightful' young lady! Katie really loves Bluegrass music but also enjoys many other genres as well; her favorite food is Guacamole and chips; her favorite colors are turquoise/light pink; and she absolutely loves Lucy, her 'delightful' little miniature Dachshund puppy.


Do you have a day job?

I am a substitute teacher and I work part-time for an organization called Young Life which is a Christian outreach organization.

How did you choose your shop name, "One Delightful Button"?

I found a jar of buttons at an antique store this fall and just loved finding creative things to make with them. I thought it was fit that my shop name includes buttons. There was not "one delightful button" that inspired the name though. I just thought it sounded cool!

In your opinion what is the most important factor to running a successful on-line shop or business?

I think finding your niche is essential. As my Etsy shop has developed I have tried to create somewhat of a theme that unifies my design. I also think it’s important that you stay true to yourself.

Have you ever had a project that didn't turn out well? If so, how did you fix it?

Well not that one didn't turn out well but a lot of times I'll come up with an idea and will start to work on it and then finish a few weeks later. I am always thinking of new ideas, but sometimes it takes awhile to get up the courage to make it. Also, I am learning to sew and it has been fun and challenging!

What do you do for fun when you aren't crafting?

My husband and I love working on our house together. We bought an older home and have been fixing it up since August and have made a lot of progress. We live by the beach too and love to go on walks there.

What do you like the most about your crafting?

I just love discovering how to make new things. How do you promote your business? I twitter, Face Book, sell my items to friends and wear things I made almost every day. Wearing my items really seems to generate interest locally.

Please be sure to check out the slide show below to see some of Katie's creations and be sure visit her shop, "One Delightful Button" on Etsy.

How did you like this interview? Please leave a comment below.

♥ If you liked this article and want to know when I publish more articles and personal interviews with talented artisans CLICK HERE to subscribe to this column or use the button at the top of the page, that way you will receive an automatic e-mail notification (no spam) whenever I publish an article (and while you're at it, please help me out by choosing me as your 'fav' Examiner) using the button above (: AND please always leave a comment below.

♥If you are a shop owner and/or an artisan and want to be interviewed, CLICK HERE to subscribe to this column, leave a comment (below) then grab the interview questionnaire from my blog and follow the instructions for submission. I'd love to publish an article about YOU!

Don't forget to visit my many artisan friends at Etsy.com and the VA Etsy Team for your shopping pleasure.

Until next time I wish you a good day today and every day!
Remember to always 'Pay IT Forward' because one good deed deserves another.

Cheers~
♥BG♥
NOTE: All active links can be found on the article page CLICK HERE

No comments: