Friday, June 25, 2010

Talented and Crafty mother of three. Joyful Jessica tells you why she's joyful.

June 11, 9:32 PMArtisans ExaminerBettie St.Ours

Joyful Jessica makes the prettiest bows ever!

I grew up in Texas, but have lived on the east coast for the last 13 years and love being close to the ocean and mountains that Virginia has to offer. For the last 9 years I've been a stay-at-home mom to my 3 children, Jackson (9), Katie (8), and Sammy (3).


Even with the daily demands of being a full time mom and homeschooling my three children, I've always looked for little ways to help out our family budget. I had a Eureka! moment about 3 years ago while searching for some hairbows for my then 5 year old daughter to wear to church that would match her little dresses. I quickly found that the ones in the stores weren't of great quality or wouldn't stay in my daughter's hair and the ones at local boutiques were too pricey for my budget. So, I started making her bows and clips and was thrilled that she now had an assortment of good quality bows at a very reasonable price.

That's when it dawned on me that others may be having the same problem finding quality bows and maybe I could start selling them. Little did I know just what a demand there was out there! In the last 3 years I've sold tens of thousands of bows and my little hairbow business has turned into a full time job for me that I can do from home.

So Jessica, how did you choose your shop name?

My shop name (JoyfulJessica's Sugar-n-Spice Boutique) comes from the last verse of Psalm 113, "He the childless woman takes, and a joyful mother makes." I am so thankful for these little people and for the blessing of being with them each day. They have truly made me JoyfulJessica. The Sugar-n-Spice part is... "because that's what little girls are made of."

In your opinion what is the most important factor to running a successful on-line shop or business?

I think what has led to my bit of success is attention to every detail and customer service. All of my hairbows are made-to-order after the sale to my customer's specifications. I carry over 200 ribbon options in my most popular styles and am happy to work closely with the customer until we have just the right colors and styles to match their special occasion clothes, school uniforms, sports/cheer outfits, or for everyday wear.

What has been your most challenging project? And how did it turn out?

My most challenging projects are always trying to fill my wholesale orders and get ready for local craft shows. During these times, I sometimes have to churn out 100+ bows in a single day and it can be pretty tiring and monotonous, but so far I've always managed to make my deadlines.

What do you like the most about your crafting?

Colors! So many happy, vibrant colors! Since I began bow making, I've found myself noticing and enjoying color so much more! I never realized how special yellow is, how great brown looks next to turquoise, how classy maroon satin can be. Pink never makes me think of Pepto anymore, now pink makes me think of pixies and fairy dust. Purple is perfect in every shade, from soft baby lilac, to a bold, rich plum. What a wonderful, colorful world!

Do you have any pets? What are they?

We have two leopard frogs, Bill and Ted, who we've had since they were tadpoles.

That's awesome Jessica, I collect frogs (not live ones) and have a curio cabinet full .

Be sure to check out the slide show below to see Jessica's bows and if you want to contact Jessica or see more of her beautiful bows check out the provided links.

website: http://sugarnspiceboutique.com/

A shout out to Andrew! Thanks for your support and for reading my articles! (:

If you liked this article and want to know when I publish more personal interviews with talented artisans be sure to use the subscribe button at the top of the page so that you will automatically be notified via e-mail whenever I publish an article (and while you're at it, add me as one of your 'fav' Examiners).

If you're an artist and want me to conduct an interview with you to feature your shop, "SUBSCRIBE" (above) go to my blog where you will find the interview questionnaire. Follow the directions there and then e-mail your completed questionnaire to me at http://myinterview@verizon.net.

Until next time I wish you a good day today and every day!

Remember to always 'Pay IT Forward' cuz one good deed deserves another.
Cheers~
♥BG♥
NOTE: To see all active links in the article CLICK HERE then go to the article of your choice

No comments: